Makes 4 Sandwiches
- 8 oz cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup red grapes, halved or quartered
- 2 tbsp toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp dill, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Several grates of freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices multi-grain bread
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
To cook the chicken, bring a saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the chicken and simmer for 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from water and cool completely. When cool, cut into 1/2-inch dice. Place in a bowl with the grapes, walnuts, dill, scallions, yogurt, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine.
To assemble the sandwiches, place 4 slices of bread on a work surface. For each sandwich, top with 1/2 cup arugula, 1/2 cup chicken salad, 1/4 cup sliced radishes and another piece of bread.
Carlton’s Suggestions for Substitutions:
- Chicken – Boiling the chicken is the suggested method. This is to lower fat and sodium content. However, boiled chicken can be dry if cooked too long – and flavorless. An alternate method would be to salt and pepper the chicken & boil in low sodium chicken stock for more flavor. However, you could just as easily saute the chicken in stock or olive oil. Or bake the chicken. But if you need to save time, use rotisserie chicken.
- Also think about using turkey or shrimp instead of chicken.
- Despite their health benefits, both the arugula and radish are peppery and pungent. In place of the radish, some shredded carrots, mixed in with the salad, would provide enough crunch. And a mesclun mix or a red lettuce could replace the arugula.
Calories 260, protein 23 g, total fat 6 g, carbohydrates 28 g, sodium 460 mg, fiber 5 g
Nutritional analysis provided by The Truly Healthy Family Cookbook
Recipe from The Truly Healthy Family Cookbook: Mega-nutritious Meals that are Inspired, Delicious and Fad-free by Tina Ruggiero, M.S., R.D., photography by Bill Bettencourt. Copyright © 2013 Tina Ruggiero. First published in 2013 by Page Street Publishing.