Healthier Nachos Supreme (contributed by Gail Meis) from Good Housekeeping
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup(s) pickled sliced jalapeño chiles
- 1 can(s) (15-ounce) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup(s) low-fat (1-percent) milk
- 1 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon(s) water
- 4 ounce(s) reduced-fat (50-percent) extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Sprinkle 1 side of tortillas with 1/4 teaspoon salt. In 4 batches, place tortillas between 2 paper towels on microwave-safe plate in single layer, spacing 1/2 inch apart. Microwave on High 2 minutes or until crisp.
- Finely chop half of jalapeños; reserve remaining for serving. Reserve 1/4 cup beans; place remaining in a medium sized bowl.
- In 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan, heat milk on medium until just bubbling around edges. In small bowl, stir cornstarch and water until cornstarch dissolves. With wire whisk, stir cornstarch mixture into hot milk. Heat to simmering, whisking constantly; simmer 2 minutes or until thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheese and whisk until melted and smooth. Stir in chopped jalapeños.
- Pour 1/4 cup sauce over beans in bowl. With potato masher or fork, mash beans until almost smooth.
- Place tortilla chips on serving plate. Spoon mashed beans over, then top with remaining sauce. Top with tomatoes, green onion, reserved beans, and reserved jalapeños.